Introduction – Working with the Moon
Hello Everyone and welcome to Working with the magic of Lunar Cycles. When working with the moon, the most important thing to be aware of is at what stage she is at in her cycle. Investing in a Lunar calendar is a great way to keep up to date with the current Lunar Cycle, . Alternatively you can find out by looking it up on the internet.
The rituals that we may perform during the Moon Cycles will be dependent on which phase she is in. Working with the magic of lunar cycles means that one must align with the energies of the moon and believe in her power.
The Four Phases of the Moon
There are Eight phases to the Lunar Cycle, but to simplify this we can break them down into the Four main Cycles as follows:
The Dark of the New Moon
The Waxing Moon
The Full Moon
It is useful to keep a lunar journal, documenting dates of rituals, lunar phases and the most powerful dates to perform manifestation rituals, experiences and outcomes and intentions.
Each of the four phases of the lunar cycle provides us with different energies. Below is an example of Keywords associated with each phase.
1) The dark of the New moon – revision, acceptance, transformation, endings, restoration.
This is the perfect time for casting spells or rituals to regenerate self-belief and releasing old or difficult energy.
2) The Waxing moon – advancement, seduction, progress, desire, development.
This is the best time for starting new projects and for spells concerning growth and creativity.
3) The Full moon – embracing, manifesting, receiving, completion, fulfillment.
This is the best time for finalizing and completing spell work or rituals.
4) The Waning moon – banishing, letting go, releasing, dissolving.
Between the waning moon and the Dark of the New moon, is the perfect time for spell casting regarding banishment, safety or re-evaluation of ideas.
Preparing for Moon Work
It is useful to create a Lunar Journal to keep dates, lunar phases and rituals documented. You can use a Lunar Journal which already contains the calendar dates of the moon phases and zodiac signs, or you can create your own personal journal.
Gather some Ingredients
As with any ritual or spell you wish to cast, it is always helpful to keep a well stocked kitchen of basic ingredients. Below I have outlined a few different essences, herbs and plants that you should have to hand for many of the rituals that you may perform with the lunar energy.
Flowers and Plants
White Rose, Moon Flower, Night Phlex, White Lily, Queen of the Night, White Waterlily, Evening Primrose, Jasmine, Star Anise, Clary Sage, Hazel, Milk Thistle, Blue Poppy, Iris, Willow< Passion Flower, Hibiscus.
Herbs and Spices
Ginger, Lavender, Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Mint, Cardamon, Poppy Seeds.
Lotus, Jasmine, Evening Primrose, Aloe Vera, Frankincense, Myrrh, Almond, Patchouli, Eucalyptus, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Juniper, Cedar wood, Peppermint.
Moonstone, Selanite, White Quartz, Blue Lace Agate, Blue Tourmaline, Blue Agate, Labrodite, Opal, Pearl.
– A mirror as it is reflective like the moon
– A white cloth to place on your table or altar.
– Moonstone and selenite crystals – These are excellent lunar work crystals which aid in positive healing energy.
– 4 white candles representing the four winds, North, East, South and West.
– A flower or herb associated with the moon such as a white Lilly or rose. This may be real or artificial.
– 4 silver rings or silver coins to enhance the power of the four moon phases.
– Incense sandalwood
– Paper and a pen
– Small bottle
– Smudge stick
Make a Lunar Magic Potion to anoint your wrists before a ritual. You will need:
15ml almond oil
2 drops evening primrose essential oil
1 drop lotus essential oil
1 drop jasmine essential oil
Dab this onto your pulse points at the start and the end of ritual or spell casting to enhance natural lunar connection.
Blessing your Sacred Space
Before performing any ritual you must first bless your home and your sacred space with Lunar energy to protect it from negativity. Do this blessing at the start of a Waxing Crescent moon phase, when energies are uplifting and symbolic of fresh starts.
You will need:
1 white quartz crystal
Selenite or Moonstone
Sage smudge stick
1) On the eve of the Waxing moon, place the quartz crystal on your sacred table. Then walk around your entire house with a lit smudge stick going from corner to corner with the smoke. As you pass by each corner thank the moon for her gentleness and help in all that you do.
2) At each corner of each room repeat, “ Thankyou moon for the light you shine upon me now and the help you will give to me in the future. I now clear the air of all past energy to liberate this place for growth and happiness.”
3) Return to your sacred space. Extinguish your smudging stick and pick up your crystal. Hold the crystal between your hands, whilst repeating the affirmation.
4) Your home is now blessed by the moon.
Daily Lunar Practice
Believe in the power of the moon and remember that she is always there for you, even when you cannot see her.
Remind yourself,” I see the moon and the moon sees me.”
Keep a piece of Moonstone or Selenite with you at all times to empower yourself with lunar energy.
Write in your lunar journal daily, include your feelings towards different experiences at the 4 phases of the cycle.
When you wake in the morning and go to bed at night, thank the moon for her blessings.
Working with the Lunar Energies
In order to perform Moon magic, you must first ” know” what it is that you are seeking. Focus on this intention, feel the emotion, light the candles and face yourself in the mirror. Anoint your wrists with your magic lunar potion.
You are now ready to work your moon magic ritual!
In my next article I will be sharing with you some of my favorite lunar magic spells, for you to try with all four of the lunar phases. Until then…